Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Trailing Spouse Gets to Talk to Senator John McCain






Lulu is at a conference near Busch Gardens and for some unknown reason I decided to tour downtown Tampa on our last day of a 6 day road trip. My GPS led me to 200 North Tampa Street to see a photography exhibit. After a quick sandwich for lunch as I walked down the street this bus with "Small Talk" written on the side pulled up next to me. 3 or 4 folks with video cameras were waiting around - and I put 2 and 2 together - someone important must be in that bus.

So I stood around for a minute with my camera ready and out pops Senator John McCain and his wife. I was amazed at how informal it was and the lack of security save one giant football player size guy in a dark suit. As the two cub reporters went up to the Senator and asked him some lowball questions I figured quickly that I had an "Artie Bremmer" moment. I said, "Howdy Senator my name is Harry." He joked for a moment and I figured I had my chance to tell him my view on things.

After taking a few pictures for proof - I told him I respected him but I did not like his stand on the Iraq War and how he backed Bush so much. I told him I did not like Bush running up all this debt on my kids' credit card. He was heading for lunch with his pretty wife and I did not want to hold him up. I was looking for someone dependable to get a picture of us together - but the crowd was very small.

As a kid - I got to touch John Kennedy as he passed through my hometown of Tamaqua, PA. In my town at the time - you were either Catholic or you didn't want a Catholic to be president. I remember Principal Curt Steigerwalt - holding the school doors closed when the kids tried to re-enter the school after taking a long lunch hour to see Kennedy - so much for a positive history lesson.

A few years later - I was enamored by Richard Nixon as he popped up out of his limo on the way through the campus at Kutztown State Teachers College in 1968 as he asked for my voted even though at that time I was 20 and still not old enough at the time. I liked him because he claimed to have a "secret plan" to end the Vietnam War.

A few years later, Lulu and I slept in our car in Washington and withstood 10 degree temperatures to see Nixon be sworn in as Pat held the Bible for him. A year later he would resign in disgrace for cheating in that election.

Then in 1980 - my Dad and I caught a Ronald Reagan appearance at Sea World although I think I voted for John Anderson that time.

So chalk this up as another adventure in the life of a trailing spouse. I do not plan to vote for a Republican because of the job they have done in the last 8 year - but if a Republican wins - this guy seems to be the smart kid in the dumb section.

I do not pretend to be an impartial reporter.

See more pictures at - www.harry.everhart.com

No comments: