Search This Blog

Monday, March 19, 2007

Chuck and Gabe Have Found 36 Bombs in Iraq







Since trailing Lulu to Tallahassee - I have kept up contact with the folks back in the hills of home and many of my former students. A few of my students have traveled to Tallahassee to visit. We have taken them to football games - to the top of the Capitol - and Wakulla Springs - you know the routine. But one of my students that can't visit me is Chuck Shuck. You see - Chuck is serving his 3rd tour of duty in Iraq - his job is to sniff out road side bombs.

Chuck Shuck was one of my favorite students. He was slightly built - had a head of curly hair - and did not come from a rich family - few of my students did. Most of the teachers were surprised that Chuck could put together a life that enabled him to have prefect attendance in school - coming to class each and every day with a big smile and positive attitude.

Chuck chose the Army as a career before the Iraq War. He served state side in Alaska and Texas in the military police - guarding our bases at home. When we invaded Iraq - all that changed. Chuck was trained to handle "sniffer dogs" dogs that search out explosives - mostly road side bombs. Chuck loves to send email back to his friends and family. When he returns state side - he usually travels around the country visiting schools where the kids write to him. He talks to them about his dog Gabe.

Chuck belongs to the 178th MP DET, 720th MP BN, 89TH MP BDE out of Fort Hood, Texas

Here is a letter that Chuck sent to me this morning -

"Dear family and friends,

I hope this email finds you all having a great day/night. It's been a few weeks since I last wrote a mass update, but Gabe and I have been really busy. Here in a few hours, we will start out 91st mission of this deployment. We are now on the downhill slope of this deployment and are quite frankly looking forward to the break back in Texas. We have 169 days left. Gabe is doing well and keeping in high spirits as he is always working to find his kong that he gets when he finds a bomb or weapon To date Gabe has found here in Iraq 36 bombs (they would have been made into bombs until we found them), 7 weapons and over 300 rounds of ammunition so he is earning his keep. He also found a bag of IED making components.

The weather here has been rainy the past few days with temps in the 60's and 70's in the day and 40's at night. I still have comic books and I have mailed out over 1,500 of them so far to about 45 elem school classes from California, to Maine and from Alaska to Hawaii.......I ask you say a prayer for 3 more military police soldiers that were killed this past week. A day doens't go by that we don't think of our fallen brothers and sisters that made the ultimate sacrifice so Iraq can wave their flag as proudly as we wave ours in the United States. Until next time. Gos bless you and God bless us, your American Soldiers

Chuck and Gabe

PS.....Gabe doens't need anymore treats, he has been on a diet for 1 1/2 months now"

I am so proud of Chuck as my student. Most of all I admire his positive attitude and sense of humor. He personifies courage to me. We do not discuss politics - probably we do not agree on the reasons for this war - but he gives personal meaning to me of the phrase - "hate the war - love the troops." One thing for certain - Iraq is not one of the places that this Spouse will Trail.

harry@everhart.com

chuckandgabe2007@yahoo.com

No comments: