Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Greg Machay Died

One of my best childhood buddies died on December 9th. His name was Greg Machay. He was only 58. Click on the title for his obituary.

Greg lived in the "new houses" on the top of Lombard Street in Tamaqua. He was a golden boy - he could draw - he could play baseball - but man could he play the electric guitar. Everybody liked Greg. The guys loved his talent and grace on the baseball diamond - and girls loved his cute smile and the way he performed on stage. It seems he could pick up any guitar riff after hearing it only once or twice.

Greg played lead guitar for The Chevelles and sometimes Angie and the Strangers. But one of the greatest nights of his life and mine was the night in 1964 when he opened for The Beach Boys in the Lakewood Ballroom. Through some sort of snafu in marketing - only 300 people showed up to see the nation's number one rock and roll band. I was lucky enough to have a seat on the edge of the stage to watch my buddy play. Greg was angelic and was given great praise by Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys. He said Greg and Angie were impossible acts to follow. That night lives in my memory like it happened minutes ago - not 42 years ago. One bright shining moment.

Every day in the summer at the Bungalow - the neighborhood gang would gather up and pick sides for baseball games that went on forever. Seldom was there a time when Greg wasn't picked first. Greg introduced me to the "hook slide" during one of our heated games. Greg was stretching a line drive to right field into a triple. He could round the bases like a greyhound. I was taking the throw at third base and the ball was there with time to spare. I had the ball in glove right in front of the bag - Greg was had - or so I thought. All of a suddden I could not believe my one good eye - I braced for Greg's slide only to have him do a perfect pirohet on the ground and approach the bag from the back. I was had - and to this day I never admitted he was safe.

We would "sleep out" at night and build "huts" in the day. I was always Rocky Colavito of the Kansas City A's and Greg was Maury Wills of the Los Angeles Dodgers. I am sure Greg's mom didn't like him around me - because I was a bad influence - but he didn't care - we were buddies.

When we were in 8th grade - the third member of our trio died from a brain tumor. Greg and I cried together over little Marty. Now I cry alone.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sad indeed.
BTW do you still have that broken drum stick that Denny Wilson tossed on stage.

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Everhart,
Thank you so much for the article on Greg Machay. It was a wonderful surprise to run across this by accident on the internet. But then, there are no accidents, are there?
Like many people, you were touched by the man Greg Machay. I love the quote, "He was the heart and soul of our youth." To me, he was my heart and soul--period. My name is Michelle Machay and Greg Machay was my father. Among all of the talents and assets you mentioned in your blog, he still had many more. Too many to list. However, the one I would like you to know was perhaps the one he was most proud of; I know it ranks number one with me. He was the best father for which anyone could ask. I do not even think he knew how great he was. As you were proud to have him as a friend, I cannot even express the pride I have for being his daughter. I was--AM Greg Machay's daughter.
Thank you for being his friend. Thank you for the walk down memory lane. Most of all, thank you for keeping his memory alive. I know through all of us, and there are many, we can share his pureness, his evervasence, his love to others. What greater gift could we pass along?

Endless gratitude,
Michelle Machay
NYC

Unknown said...

Correction---he died on December 9, 20006, not the 6th. It was 9:43 p.m.

Unknown said...

Correction---he died on December 9, 20006, not the 6th. It was 9:43 p.m.