Search This Blog

Monday, February 06, 2006

Today Harry is Retired Three Years


It seems like yesterday that Nancy had my big retirement party - but it was three years ago. You all know the story of how Harry retired on his 55th birthday. Panther Valley School District - where Harry worked - offers Blue Cross Medical Insurance to retired teachers and their spouses for free when they retire at age 55. That was a great incentive.

Since then - Harry and Nancy sold their Tamaqua chalet and moved to Tallahassee where Nancy was recruited to be a professor at Florida State. Also during that time Drew and Robin were married in Balitmore. Drew earned his doctorate at the University of Miami and Keith earned his Masters at Florida State University.

During the past three years - Nancy and Harry have visited the following places - Hawaii - China - Korea - Thailland - Hong Kong - England - Ireland - Scotland - Italy - France - Germany - Denmark - Iceland - Sweden - Mexico - Canada - Bahamas - Washington DC - San Diego - Las Vegas - Boston - Orlando - Tampa - Durham - Syracuse - Death Valley - New Orleans - Alaska - Key West - and Castro. Most of the visits were related to Nancy's new job.

At 5:00 AM on the day I retired - I received an e-mail from Mr. Homer Hickam. He is the author of the book "Rocket Boys" and the movie "October Sky" was based on his book and his life. I had recently written to Mr. Hickam and told him how my life was similar to his. I told him how my Dad was a coal miner like his and also how I ended up teaching Earth and Space Science for 33 years and launching rockets at school. I told him how the launching of Sputnik inspired me and how I admired the work that Werner Von Braun did for our space program.

Homer told me that he worked for NASA for many years and he retired on his 55th birthday too. He said that "the five years since my retirement were the most exciting and best ever." He wished me five years as good as his.

Well Homer - so far you are a prophet.

No comments: