Search This Blog

Sunday, January 14, 2018

George Dawson - Rebel and Role Model

George Dawson in 1955 on his BSA Motorcycle
(33 years before I met him)
I met him in 1988 - he was a science professor at Florida State and we were planning to live in Tallahassee for a year while Lulu earned her doctorate there. He had advertised nationally for a middle school earth and space science teacher to work on new curriculum using computers. I applied by sending a funny letter to him. He hired me. Since then - we have been great friends.

We have a lot in common. We love FSU sports - we love computers and technology. Both of us just love to travel the world. George has been to all 7 continents. We seem to have a contest on who has the most gadgets - the latest and the best.

When my family visits - one of the first places they go is over to see George.

Back in 1965 - my first car was a Honda scooter. With it I prowled along the east coast of the USA. George beat me again. Yesterday I found out that he had a motorcycle in 1955 and he drove it from his home in Kentucky to Florida. He eventually became a professor there - but we are both carpetbaggers from up north - unless you think Kentucky is in the South like this Good Ole Boy does.

When it came time to move to Florida and Tallahassee for us - it was not even a discussion where we would live. We ended up just 3 doors up the street from George. When we wanted a new home - rather than move to the suburbs - we bought a house even closer - and tore it down and build a new one.

He is a best friend. He is always covering my back.

My Dad died in 1982 - I was just 34 - so George helped fill that gap for me. George is a lot like my Dad in good ways. Both believed in hard work - treating everyone fairly - and taking care of his family. A fella is lucky to have people like this.

George - reading Two the Night Before Christmas
to the family this year
George was an FSU professor for 30 plus years. He lives across the street from us with his wife Dr Joel Dawson. She was a science teacher too. 


No comments: