Search This Blog

Monday, February 27, 2006

Stephen King Read A Short Story to Me






Yes - the pictures are blurry - it was dark there - and I did not want to flash the camera and ruin the effect.

Last night Stephen King - the best selling author in the world - read a short story to me. He appeared in Ruby Diamond Auditorium at FSU. Some folks might say why is such a great writer wasting his time in Tallahassee. He did it to fill in for a friend who was scheduled but got ill.

The place was packed to the rafters - I do not know how many but I am guessing 2000. The place was pitch black - then all of a sudden he appeared - dressed casually in jeans and shirt. With his very thick glasses - it makes his eyes appear small and beady - very much like James Watt or my mother-in-law Betty. :-)

I was surprised all the great books he wrote - many turned to movies - like Carrie - Shawshank Redemption - Pet Cemetery - Christine - The Shining - on and on.

What impressed me was that he was my age - graduated from high school in 1966 - and even tried his hand as a public school English teacher for one year.

I am a devoted listener to Howard Stern on satellite radio - but Mr. King dropped more F-bombs in his appearance than Howard ever does on radio. But the crowd giggled and loved it - saying "He is just like us."

He read a short story called "Memory" to us - 40 minutes. The audience was quieter than I ever remember - quiet enough that one could nap.

We had Bob Brooks and Corinne Jorgensen over for supper and they went with us to the "concert." Bob has a really neat Infiniti - and a new GPS that impressed me to no end. It had one wire to the lighter outlet - a color screen - and it talked to you. It also had a trip computer in it and it was dead accurate. Santa are you listening.

In King's story - the character had $40 million before he was 30 - back when $40 million was something :-) If I had that kind of money - I would have this GPS on my scooter.

What a nice night we had.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi

Sounds like a great event. I'll be posting a link to your site from mine so all King fans can hear about it.

Lilja
www.Liljas-Library.com

Tumor Boy said...

Lucky!