Search This Blog

Friday, June 21, 2013

I Just Sold Some Teak Chairs on Craigslist

 Richard came all the way from Orlando to buy our teak dinette set.

Here I am helping Richard load the chairs into his truck.


All week I have been busy selling stuff from the old brick house. We are getting ready to tear it down to build our new home. Things are selling very fast - bringing good prices - but the most fun is meeting people and hearing their stories about life and fortune. 

I had a teak dining table with 6 chairs listed on Craigslist for $350. A guy called and drove all the way up from Orlando to buy it. It is about 5 hours of driving each way. He planned to get here at 1 PM but he pulled in at 3. He was so excited to look at the chairs. He was gushing over their quality. Then he said a couple strands were loose in the seats and he could only pay $340. Now since he drove 5 hours - there was no way he was going to walk away for $10. But he was a nice guy and I felt bad that he drove so far for a stupid dinette. I took the 17 - $20 bills. 

I helped him load the chairs into the truck. He had special padded bags of each chair. We stacked them gently. He said sometimes people mistake rosewood for teak and a set of rosewood chairs can go for $6000 after he finishes them. He assured me that mine were teak. 

He was about to pull out when I reminded him of the table. He said he did not want it! To me the table was the prettiest item - 8 and 1/2 feet long with the leaves in. He said the table was only worth $600 finished and he would have to pay about $500 to finish it right. He said I could re-sell it. Like having your cake and eating it too.

I bought the set from a graduating student 3 years ago. My 3 students had used it 3 years. It is the gift that keeps on giving. 


Anyone want to buy a teak dining table - 102 x 42 - with leaves in - $160.

Added on Sunday morning - The table sold quickly for $160. Very few items left - like those corner cabinets.

No comments: