Search This Blog

Monday, November 19, 2007

Feeling Smug on Monday Morning

It is 6 AM - I just got back from a 15 minute trip to the airport. One of my favorite students - Steve - spent a 4 day weekend here with his old science teacher.

Steve was a rowdy 7th grader about 18 years ago. He had a quick reply back then that hasn't changed much today. I should have expected it - since his Dad was in my first science class back in 1970 - and Dad had the honor of being the first student of many to elevate my blood pressure. But even then one could recognize greatness - even in the Ritalin infested classroom of today.

Steven went on to college. He got a bachelor's degree in biology and a masters in environmental science. Not bad for a coal cracker kid that had no choice but to be in my earth and space science class because every kid in town suffered the same fate for 33 years. Steve likes to brag about never taking a computer class in college. He says often - within my limited hearing zone - that the only computer class he ever had was from his favorite science teacher - Mr. Mac.

On the way to the game Saturday - my friend Wayne tried to get some dirt out of my former student. Steve blew him out of the water with, "No other person has had a greater influence on my life that Mr. Everhart." Insert tears here.

To speed up the story a bit - Steven somehow parlied his few hours on a Mac Computer in my classroom to being the Head of the Technical Help Desk at the Federal Aviation Administration in Washington DC. While working for the feds - he went to night school at the University of Maryland and got an advanced degree. He now is earning about double my last teaching salary and at least once a year another firm tries to steal him - and the FAA keeps his loyalty with cash.

Being a retired teacher living far away from his roots in Coal Cracker Land - it is weekends like this one that keep my life in perspective. Yes - FSU beat Steve's Terps this weekend - we had a great party and even better game seats - and Bobby Bowden won his 300th game for the Noles. But on this Monday morning Steve, "Bobby Bowden is not my hero."

No comments: