Search This Blog

Monday, April 09, 2018

Jet-Lagged From London - Staying In Disneyworld - Without Propane

Our 2004 Roadtrek in Disneyworld

At 8 PM Wednesday night - we landed in Tallahassee after 10 hours of flying from Europe. We were really tired because it was already 2 AM from where we left - Brussels. Thursday morning we planned to leave Tallahassee at 9 AM for the 5-hour drive to Disneyworld. Normally - we never book trips so close back to back - but the grandkids were going to be there and we were not going to miss this wonderful time to spoil them. 

I got up at 5 AM - and started to prep the camper. I went inside to turn on the propane refrigerator and the switch was already on. That is NOT good. I checked the propane tank gauge and it said empty. Someone forgot to turn off the refrigerator after the opera trip a month ago. My mind was a little foggy - but I thought we would not need propane for heat - let's just go. 

First thing we missed was the ice cold frig full of drinks and food. Second thing we missed was no stove to heat up meals. Third thing we missed was no hot water to wash our hands - and finally no hot water for showers. They say campers are people that spend thousands to live like homeless - well we were now third world homeless without propane. 

As soon as we arrived at the hotel - I just parked in a nice spot - and we went inside to meet the grands. 

That night - after roaming around - we were so jet-lagged - we just flopped. The spring air was still cool - so we did not need heat or AC. We slept like babies. We were awaken by a message from our son - that the Magic Kingdom opened early for hotel guests. They were going into the park at 6:15 AM. It was a couple hours of ride heaven - that you must take advantage of. We spent Thursday in 3 parks - our butts dragging near the end. We took an afternoon break to swim. 

We did spend the next 2 nights in the Dolphin Hotel - this luxury palace even with our discount was $250 a night. We were able to buy the kids 4-day Disney passes at the Florida discount - as we did with our passes. A 2 day Disney pass is now $209 - regular rate. 

Our 4 days flew by like Lightning MacQueen. It has been a long time since we were in Disney without being melancholy. I have so many good memories there - both family and school. I used to own a bus - and I would drive groups down from Pennsylvania - 20 hours non-stop - back in 1978 - my wife and I had chauffeur licenses. A Disney trip now - would always appear a bit sad to me. Not this time - I was making new memories with my son - daughter in law - and my grandkids. I was having my own little "Circle of Life." I weeped a little - when I held my granddaughter up - like the Lion King. 

Sunday at 4 PM we left Disney. I drove 2 hours - while Lulu napped - then she took the last 2 hours home. I will never run out of propane again - but my own personal tank of love and memories was topped up to the brim as we pulled into the driveway. 

The Dolphin Hotel is a convention site -
we stayed there.
Disney likes to use campers for display -
in Animal Kingdom
No one bothered our camper for 4 days.
Hollywood Studios

Lions in the jungle
This giraffe wanted to visit us

I loved this old garage display

Another trailer restaurant
Lulu and I love Canada in Epcot -
Martin Short movie.
Harry experiencing
his Circle of Life

No comments: