Search This Blog

Sunday, November 06, 2016

This Is My New MacBook - I Just Sold Old MacBook Air

Out with the old - in with the new
I just sold my old computer - Monday 9 AM - for $700.

Every two years I like to replace my Mac computer. I use my computer for many things - mostly writing email - managing my pictures - surfing the internet - reading newspapers - doing the family finances - watching television - listening to music - selling stuff on Craigslist - and having video chats with the kids and grandkids. I have done away with desktop computers a long time ago. I like to be able to take my computer to where the action is - and a good laptop is just perfect for me. 

Yesterday I bought a MacBook at Best Buy. With a coupon I paid $1249. The MacBook is smaller - lighter - faster - than my old MacBook Air. When I say old - I bought it just 2 years ago. It has served me well.

The new MacBook. This tiny laptop is just 8 inches by 11 inches. It is about ⅜ inches thick. It weighs just 2 pounds! Inside that package is 8GB of RAM and 256GB of storage. The beautiful retina screen measures 12 inches diagonally. It has a full size keyboard and touchpad. The battery lasts about 12 hours per charge. 

MacBook


The biggest change on this new model is the number of ports - there are only 2. One for the headphones on the right - and one for the power cord on the left. The power cord port is a USB-C port. With adapters you can plug in a variety of things - scanners - flash drives - hard drives - computer chips - HDMI video out to TV. I wanted to have the latest technology - so I opted for this little 2 port wonder.

We travel a lot - and this little computer is perfect for that. It only weights 2 pounds - but mainly it is just a bit smaller and easier for packing. I may buy a neoprene sleeve to put it in my backpack for taking on the plane. It has a faster processor that makes it zing and also saves energy by not producing heat. The list price was $1299 but Best Buy is offering a student discount of $50. They accepted Lulu's FSU faculty card as proof. With flash storage of 256GB - I can store anything silently on board - no hard drive motors running.

MacBook Air

The old MacBook Air. Some people like to keep items unit they break down and then they buy a new one - and throw the old one away. At this time yesterday I was typing on my old laptop - wondering why I would ever want to replace it. It has 4GB of RAM and 128GB of flash storage. The computer has posted stories on my web page from - England - Germany - Italy - France - Spain - Netherlands - Belgium - Austria - Canada - Hawaii - California - Arizona. It has not failed me ever. 

MacBook a little smaller than
MacBook Air
MacBook Air is available to a new home for $700

No comments: