Search This Blog

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Washington DC - Saturday We Flew Into A Snow Storm In A Frozen City

Dr Zhivago visits Washington DC - from this view you can see the Lincoln Memorial - Washington Monument - Capitol - and White House. We were going 150 MPH and I missed the Jefferson Memorial.

Lulu has a meeting with her grant supervisor on Monday. So what better time than to spend a weekend with Liz and Keith. They live in their new home on Florida Avenue and walk to work in downtown DC. We left Tallahassee at 6 AM - and by 10 AM we made it to our hotel as the snow started to fall. And it fell all day. 

Most of the day we were just catching up on all the action since Christmas. We went to the National Portrait Gallery in an Uber car and then had barbecue at Hill Country. At 8 PM - we went to the Verizon Center to watch Georgetown defeat DePaul University. The crowd was light because the weather outside was miserable - even by Pennsylvania standards. 


After the game we went to the Metro to go home. It was Saturday night at 10 PM - during a snow storm - they picked a bad time to maintain one of the Red Line tracks causing a delay for us. We could have walked the two miles back to our Hotel Palomar probably faster than the hour it took by subway - usually a 5 minute ride. At least we got to see some track maintenance crew working. 

When we got to our third floor room over the front door - we had just enough time to pull the curtains on the giant front window. In 5 minutes - we were both dead to the world. 

This morning Keith is going to drive us to Mount Vernon. We have been there as kids - but I never saw it covered with snow - and that will be my next post.

The Tidal Basin and Potomac were frozen solid - the Jefferson Memorial is in the middle of the picture.

The view from our Hotel Palomar room - right as the snow started. We got bagels at that shop across the street.

This picture at the National Portrait Gallery is called - The Library. I always photograph Lulu in front of libraries.

Georgetown does not play on campus - they play downtown at the Verizon Center.

The Hoyas were ranked number 22 last week - they won Saturday.

John Thompson III coaches the team - but his Dad still sits next to the bench.

Liz and Keith have season tickets - I was able to scrounge a free one outside. The lady said I had to sit with her - the little red patch between Keith and I is where she sat. When I told her my kids andwife were here - she let me go :-)  I was wearing my 20 year old Georgetown sweatshirt and a Hoya gray and navy scarf - also hat - gloves - and a heavy overcoat. I wish I had them in New Orleans last week for the parades.

They picked a fine time to work on the tracks in the Metro - this delayed our trip home maybe 30 minutes.

After Lulu's meeting with the feds on Monday - we will drive a rental car to Richmond - to spend a couple days with the other Everhart 4. 

Typical Florida person post - I have to tell you that it was in the 70s in Tallahassee yesterday . It was in the 30s when we left there at 6 AM.

Somewhere My Love. 

No comments: