Search This Blog

Thursday, August 08, 2013

When Marriage Has A Term Limit

From the Washington Post
As an ordained minister of 44 years in the United Church of Christ, I have performed hundreds of weddings and have reached this same conclusion. I fully support what I prefer to call “term marriage.” Couples should have the opportunity to be legally married for a certain time period, with a contract that would expire unless they renew it. As a spiritual guide, I affirm that a couple should stay together not because they have to but because they want to. In my premarital counseling with couples, I encourage them to write their wedding vows. Some years ago I was taken aback when a couple asked that their vows end with the words “as long as love lasts.” But the more I thought about it, the more I came to agree with the concept.
Written by - Jim Todhunter, Bethesda

Harry's Note - This makes perfect sense to me. Like Term Insurance - when the policy runs out - it is over. To extend the term requires a new contract.

No comments: