Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

London Olympic Park One Year Later


It was exactly one year ago that the London Olympics were opening here. Today I rode by the park on my visit to the Docklands Museum. The park looks run down - weeds - construction - demolition. I got a little sad because I remember all the good times we had that week with friends and family. Keith was able to land a fist full of tickets so everyone got to at least 3 or 4 events. Drew - Robin got to meet their hero coach K. Jack's great grandfather Jack Robinson got to address the Men's gold medal basketball team. Lulu - Drew - Keith - and I sat in the upper deck of that stadium to see the opening ceremony - one of the coolest things I ever witnessed. I remember the feeling in my chest when all those miners came out from under the ground - like rising from the dead. 

There is a super shopping mall at the Olympic Park called Westfield. It was very busy today. I bought two bags of groceries there at 5:30 - and even in rush hour on the subway - I was home at 6:04. I was able to email Lulu from the Apple store - to tell her I would miss supper. 

They also built two train stations there - one is an international station where the Eurostar passes on the way to Paris thru the tunnel.

I never did get up that red tower.

No comments: