Search This Blog

Saturday, July 06, 2013

How Is Harry Flying To London - First Class - For Free?

We always take a picture of friends at the airport in case the plane goes down. You could sell it to the National Enquirer. Notice I have two bags - one of them is Lulu's clothes.

Normally it costs $3500 for a first class round trip ticket from Tallahassee to London. This is the 6th summer I am making that trip - but the first time I am going first class - with a bed.

It all started about 4 years ago - when my son Drew sent an email telling me to hurry up and buy this special  American Airlines credit card. He said that you get 75,000 frequent flyer miles just for signing up. So Lulu and I got 4 cards. That gave us 300,000 miles - but they must be used on American Airlines.


So far I have taken advantage of that deal to fly to London - Brazil - Australia - Hawaii - Los Angeles - and New Zealand. When Lulu flies FSU pays her costs. She has so many miles with Delta they give her a gold medallion - which often bumps her up to first class for free.

A couple of months ago - Lulu was booking our tickets and the prices were high. Economy class was $1600. My friends Manny and Mia are coming to visit us in London this year - and they paid $2500 each to fly to London! So Lulu went to work on the computer. With booking me from Tallahassee to Miami to Boston to London - I am able to fly first class using a  low amount of miles. I had to pay the taxes.

Once in London - the blue line in the London Underground take me directly from Heathrow Airport to with a block of our apartment at 12A Bedford Place. We have three sets of visitors coming to stay with us this year. For the record - we do not charge guests to stay with us.

What does a first class ticket entail? You get to use the courtesy lounges in all the airports. They serve you a fancy meal in the airport before you take off. You get free booze and food on the plane. You get a perfectly flat bed in a booth. When you get off the plane on the other end - you can take a shower in the club room. I had good friends - Ben Houser who used to fly first class to New Zealand every year.

Lulu will fly via Delta Airlines from Tallahassee to Atlanta to London. She will leave here two hours later than me but arrive in London two hours before me. I feel a little guilty getting a bed when she will have to fly sitting up. After all - she is the one that does all the work. I usually make fun of people wasting money flying first class - but I am looking forward to this adventure. It took me 65 years to get a bed flight to Europe. My grandson Jack did it when he was 4! Keith did it last summer. Last year - Lulu got bumped up to first class because of her gold card. I flew in the back of the plane. She was bringing drinks back to me in steerage - and was reprimanded. You can't have glass in coach. The stewardess poured the drink glass into a paper cup and handed it to me.

I hope to be able to have Internet all the way. Stay tuned to this site for more. 

No comments: