Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Harry Teaching in London

FSU London Study Centre

Harry teaching the only things he remembers - designing web pages and Craigslist. Has it been 10 years since I taught my last class?

I can't tell you how many teachers and professors I know - that take a one day tour of Oxford or Cambridge - and then list it on their resume as "studied at Oxford or Cambridge." Does the hour I spent with Lulu's grad students fumbling through blogger.com qualify me for a Florida State teacher's pension?

Lulu's class this year is 16 graduate students from all over the USA. They will be here for 3 weeks and earn 6 graduate credits. Classes are conducted online before and after the three weeks in London. Class meets from 9 to 5 every day - sometimes at night - and some weekends. The students certainly earn those credits. 

This is the 6th straight summer for us in London where Lulu had to close her class because too many applied. The course has gotten legs of its own.

In all my years in education - this endeavor that Lulu runs is the best I have ever seen. It reminds me of the old days when we would pile twenty 7th graders in our bus and drive them to Disneyworld and Cape Canaveral from Pennsylvania for a week. 

We will come home August 1st - just in time to start building our new home. 


No comments: