Search This Blog

Thursday, December 06, 2012

Old Tamaqua Bank Gets Restored Clock


The First National Bank on Broad Street in Tamaqua was where I opened my first savings account in 1956. Every time you would deposit some money - they would write it in your bank book. Every 3 months they would add some interest. When I opened the account - the banker took me in the safe - and let me hold $5000. That was enough for 3 new cars then. The vault also had a movement sensitive alarm - sort of like the clapper. The banker clapped his hands and the alarm sounded

The bank turned into the Miners National Bank and then closed. It is now the headquarters of the Tamaqua Historical Society.

Don Serfass took this picture today at 4 PM of the restored old clock. Here is his caption.

The working, chiming, musical, illuminated stained glass & bronze 1911 Tamaqua First Nat'l. Bank clock was unveiled just about 4 p.m. Thurs. Dec. 6 2012.

No comments: