Search This Blog

Friday, June 15, 2012

My First Car - a 1965 Honda Supercub




In 1965 I was 17 years old. I was in 11th grade. I worked for $2 a day delivering milk door to door for Heisler's Dairy. 

The Beach Boys were singing about taking Rhonda for a ride on a Honda. 

I bought a brand new 1965 Honda Supercub for $225. I rode it for 2 years and sold it for $150. It had a 49cc four-cycle engine. It had a 3 speed foot shifter with automatic clutch. Honda claimed 200 miles per gallon. I never found out because the tank could not hold one gallon. It had a manual choke and kick starter. It hauled two people at 43 mph tops going down a hill with a tail wind.

It was purchased at Lutz's Cycle Shop in Still Creek. My first ride on one was when Jack Laughlin opened a rental shop along the railroad in downtown Tamaqua. For $2.50 an hour - you could enjoy the wind in your hair and bugs in your teeth.

Today - I saw the above ad from Columbus OH. A guy has two of them - 1965 Honda Supercubs. They are restored - he wants $1000 each. What a nice Father's Day present they would make  :-)

No comments: