Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Harry Has Direct Neck Lift With Z-Plasty

Harry home after Direct Neck Lift
Yesterday at 1:30 PM - I checked into Southeast Plastic Surgery on Fleischman Road where Dr Ben Kirbo did a neck lift on my draping turkey gobbler. At first I expected the doctor to say - we were operating 5 inches too low - but no comments were made about my Everhart trademark nose.



Lulu and I have been on an iPhone-assisted diet since Sept 21st and we each lost more than 25 pounds. My neck size went from a 17-1/2 to 15-1/2 inches. As a result there was an ample curtain of skin flapping in the breeze when I rode my motor scooter. Not only did it look bad - my sleep apnea doctor said it might hinder my sleep because of the looseness. Make no mistake - Blue Cross did not cover payment of this operation. But it gave me an "excuse."
A profile of my best side.
I was scheduled to be under the knife by 3 PM - but complications of the previous patient after a 6 hour surgery - the procedure did not start until 6 PM. While I sat in the pre-op with an IV in my right hand - I entertained myself with my iPhone.
A 4 hour wait in the pre-op room.
After the doctor and nurses gushing over how understanding I was in that tense situation - the doctor offered us dinner in our favorite restaurant. Never missing a moment for a deal - Lulu quipped about a couple free Botox sessions. She said that to me and not to Dr Ben. After all those hours - Ben and I were on a first name basis  :-)


With just a short walk into the operating room - I realized that my chair had been only about 8 feet from the operating table in the next room. It took the team of the 4 doctors and nurses an hour to do the deed.


The doctor removed a patch of skin about 2 inches by 6 inches. I requested that he save it so I could make it into a wallet.


Since it was much later than we expected - Lulu had to teach her on-line class from the hospital over the Internet. At the time she was sworn to secrecy - though I am sure she wanted to blurt out the news.


At her class recess Lulu returned to the recovery room to see Harry sitting up - all dressed - and gabbing away to anyone who would listen.


30 Oxycontin pills are all that stand between the pain of a 12 inch incision on a very tender part of the body.


In 10 minutes they were home - it was dark - and no one saw me bandaged like a bad toothache in a 1950's cartoon. A compression bandage kept everything in order. The doctor suggested sleeping in a recliner to prevent swelling - and Lulu set up a for me. The night went swimmingly - literally. I spent time on the Internet - listening to radio - and watching TV. There were even a few nice upright sleep sessions. 


The actual surgery took only one hour under a general anesthetic. It all went well.


This is what was removed.
I had to sleep sitting up last night - aided by Oxycotin.
Again - although this "may" help my sleep apnea - Blue Cross would not go near it. Board certified surgeon or not - it was $3150 out of Lulu's pocket. I must have been looking really bad - because Lulu did the research and lined up everything. I cannot emphasize how professional Southeastern Plastic Surgery is and Lulu was. 



Next day - they removed the bandages and I walked around with a big Zorro sign under my chin. It is a large incision with 30 stitches. I saw it  and I expected much worse. In one week they remove the stitches - in two weeks it should be healed. In two months the scar will be gone.

I had a choice of trying to hide this from everybody - or  go public and do some before and after pictures. So here they are. Please excuse any drug induced mistakes.

3 comments:

The Spectator said...

The great thing about teaching a course via distance ed is that your students have no clue where you are.

Oh, get well Harry. ;-)

Harry Everhart said...

Hi - It is 9 AM on Wednesday - about 36 hours post surgery.432 people have read my story about the neck surgery. It is my highest day since the 1800 people that read my Elian Gonzalez story when he turned 16. I feel great today - all bandages are off. My neck is black and blue - most of the swelling went down. There are 30 stitches staring back at me from the mirror. Today I can shave and shower. Harry

John said...

Harry - did you find the doctor on Craig's List? John