Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

I Pulled The Trigger - Just Ordered My New Airbook - Will Be Here Tomorrow

It has all come down to this! A laptop computer this thin and this light.

I just pressed "enter" on my macbook to order my new "airbook" - the latest Apple MacBook Air. Yesterday I went to Best Buy to see one and I was impressed. But I went back and forth in my head about a thousand times before I finally pulled the trigger.

Amazon.com is offering them for $994. They offer overnight shipping for $4 - and no sales tax. So tomorrow at this time I should be typing away on my new toy.

What features do I like? I like the new glass screen - similar to the one on my ipad. I like the full-size keyboard - the magnetic cord - the magnetic clasp.

It has no hard drive spinning away - all storage is in SSD - simply a giant 64GB computer chip. So the machine is perfectly silent. This also keeps the machine cold - no wasted power to burn your lap. That also extends the battery life to an honest 5 hours. See - I am "saving the planet."

Since there is no hard drive to spin up to load programs - it boots up instantly. Open and close the computer - and it is on and ready to go - no waiting. When the computer is closed - it has a stand-by time of 30 days - without plugging it in.

The battery is lithium ion - which means it has longer user times - and 1000's of re-charges. This is the kind of battery found in the new Nissan Leaf electric car.

The entire computer weighs 2.3 pounds.

What doesn't if have? a big screen - a DVD player - a firewire port - a hard drive - a mouse.

Why do I want one? My present MacBook will be out of warranty in April. This airbook is the latest and greatest toy on the market. Sometimes smaller is better.

What if I don't like it? I can return it in 30 days. I can sell it on Craigslist.

I will post plenty of pictures when I get it tomorrow morning




No comments: