Search This Blog

Sunday, August 01, 2010

The Acropolis in Athens Greece


Replica in Nashville



Model of Acropolis in Smithsonian Institute in DC

Ever since history class in 7th grade in the old Tamaqua Junior High School along the Schuylkill - I have been enthralled by The Parthenon in "the Cradle of Democracy" - Athens Greece. It sits on the Acropolis - a plateau high above the city. I am not into the religious aspect of the building - just the sheer simplicity of its lines. Less is more.

In Nashville - they have built a replica of the Acropolis. In the above photo you can see Lulu's Dodge parked next to it. I stopped there on my trip from Chicago to Tallahassee last summer. Wouldn't be neat if I could make another end run and see the real thing?

ADDED later Sunday - Can't find a cheap flight - best we can find at this late time is $500 round trip. Looks like a no go.

I will have to settle for this video -