Search This Blog

Monday, July 05, 2010

New Bikes For A Song - Lulu Finally Got Her Light Blue Schwinn



Harry's New Schwinn Sidewinder Bike


Lulu's Light Blue Schwinn Mirada
The bikes look like brother and sister.

The Weedwacker leaf blower that I traded for my bike.

When Lulu and I eloped in 1971 - she left at home her most prized position - her light blue Schwinn bike. She loved that bike and never let anyone else ride it. After we were married - she never saw it again.

Here in Florida - it is always bike riding season. The weather is great and the hills are much smaller than back home in Pennsylvania.

When we came home from London last summer - the wheel on Lulu's bike was mangled. It was strange because it was locked safely in our barn. It turns out the spokes had broken or rotted - not sure which. So when Christmas came - I got Lulu a brand new Schwinn bike in pink - her request. I even wrapped it to put it under the Christmas tree. After one ride - she did not like it - and it went back to the store.

In the back of my mind - I wanted to replicate that light blue Schwinn of her childhood. We checked in the local stores and a Schwinn Mirada - girls blue - was going for $199. So this week - I got my wish - a really nice one showed up on Criagslist for $125. We went to see and worked the seller down to $80 and they threw in a helmet. The bike is virtually brand new and was probably the best bike we have had - until tonight.

While watching Craigslist tonight - there was a beautiful Schwinn Sidewinder - normally $199 - the seller only wanted $50! It was 15 miles south of town in the boon docks - so I contacted the guy. We worked the price down to $40 on the phone - but he asked if I might have an old leaf blower. What luck - I did - and I took it along on the truck.

It took a half hour to find his house - a nice new single home in the middle of the swamp. He also had a new car with a US Army license plate on it. When he opened the door - there is was - a virtually new bike. The tires needed air - but I had brought my pump along - and I pumped them up and drove the bike. It was perfect.

The guy said he bought it before his last deployment to Iraq. He only rode it about 200 miles - and the tires were low when he returned home - and he just let it sit.

I showed him my old Weedeater leaf blower - and he was very happy. Even up - new bike for old blower. So for a total of $80 - we got $400 worth of new bikes......and got rid of an old leaf blower.

Now we have to figure how to get the bikes to London next week - only kidding. You have to love Craigslist.