Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Five Trips to Chicago - 1962 - 1990 - 1993 - 2009 - 2010
We just had the pleasure of spending 3 days in Chicago. It is a neat city - too bad it can be so cloud - windy - and snowy. Today as we left it was 80 degrees - not bad for a springtime along the lake.
1. (1962) My first trip to Chicago was as a 14 year old Boy Scout. Dad did not have a lot of money but he wanted me to go to Philmont NM - the Boy Scout camp in the desert Southwest. He arranged for me to go with a group from Scranton. We rode on the famous Phoebe Snow train of the Erie and Lackawanna Railroad. On that 1962 trip we spent a day touring Chicago on a Gray Line bus.
2. (1990) Lulu's doctoral dissertation was selected best in the country by the ALISE. She received a $1000 check and an all-expense-paid trip to Chicago - staying at The Palmer House and presenting at the convention.
3. (1993) The boys and I took a road trip in our black Honda Accord. We went from Tamaqua to Athens GA. Then went to baseball games in St Louis to see Keith's Cardinals - then a cold and windy day in July in Wrigley Field in Chicago. We watched the game wrapped in quilts and blankets we used to camp in the car. Keith must have really enjoyed that trip because a couple years later he drove to Chicago alone at age 16.
4. (2009) Lulu coveted a 1986 Dodge 600 convertible near Chicago on Craigslist with 9000 miles on it in like new condition. I flew to Chicago and drove that car home to Florida. It is a clone of the car she had for 10 years back in Tamaqua.
5. (2010) Lulu was attending executive training as the president of AASL - that same organization that picked her dissertation number 1 - selected her to be "school librarian number 1." So here we are.