Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Italy - Florence and the FSU Study Center Campus




Click on Italy Above to See More pictures

We are zooming across the farmland between Florence and Rome at about 180 mph after a day of exploring the city of art. It is a bit like Venice without the canals. After a month of visiting so many European cities - the cathedrals - restaurants - avenues - park - museums - and artwork seem to blur a little.

One spot that obsessed me was SAN MINIATO AL MONTE Chapel - so much so that I hired a cab to relieve our sore feet and dragging butts for the long climb up the mountain. If a church can be plain and ornate all it once - this one pulls it off. The view of the city of Florence and the countryside was one of the prettiest I have seen. It is hard to categorize "pretty" but this one was a 10 in my book. The chapel was surrounded by all sorts of graves - masoleums - and memorials. We were there at noon - but alone on a bench overlooking the city - and all of a sudden all of the church bells started to peal the time of day - but in my mind it was Europe and the city wishing us a Bon Voyage.

About 20 years ago (is it that long?) - Cliff Robertson and Genivieve Bujold starred in a movie called "Obsession" where part of the story centered around this chapel. I won't ruin the story for you - but it ended with a romance between a man (Robertson) and his daughter (Bujold). I did not re-call the city of the church until I saw it today. I love kinky movies - love with a twist.

Not having a bus ticket back down to the city - the driver just nodded us into the bus and we got a free ride back to near the FSU campus. At the campus - Lulu received a VIP tour by the director and I took a tons of pictures of the students from back home. When I told them the pictures were for the Tallahassee Democrat - they launched into a primping party. One of Lulu's interns is the librarian at the FSU Study Center and she was delighted to fill Lulu in on how things are going there.

After a late lunch of some of the best pizza I ever had - we caught a cab to the station - hopped on the high speed train to Rome. Lulu is sacked out now - fighting off a runny nose and sore throat. The sun was a little hotter and the bags seem heavier as we rushed to catch this train.

On a personal note - we returned to Bill Woodyard's apartment to pick up our bags. He was home between his two daily classes. I went out on the terrace to get my clothes off the wash line - they were gone. I went inside - Bill was busy on the phone - but on hangers on my room door were all my clothes - freshly pressed - and ready for my last two days. Ever since visiting my friend Ben Houser down in the Keys - I am highly impressed by folks that try to make their guests feel welcome. Working class - middle class - upper class - nothing says class more than making someone feel welcome. Isn't it funny how things like that affect your attitude about any visit. I am really glad we stopped by Florence for the night.

No comments: