Search This Blog

Friday, June 26, 2009

Harry Blown Away by Billy Elliot









Read on to see why the above video is of such poor quality.

We were in the front row last night to see Billy Elliot at the Victoria Palace - across the street from Victoria Station. There have been very few things in life that have made in laugh and cry like this wonderful play did. It took all the strength I could muster to hide my chest heaving in front of Lulu. She graciously kept her eyes turned away. There are way too many father and son feelings I have had that show up in this play. It is a bit like Field of Dreams - Rudy - and October Sky - all rolled up into one - but with a stiff British accent.

We had a fantastic view of the action. The snow from the winter scenes was all over us. You could see the scabs' blood flying by. I held my little camera at belt level to catch some of the action but it could barely see over the edge of the stage. I pointed it like going to the bathroom. If I brought it up to eye level - the ushers would have given me the bum's rush.

Lulu and I were celebrating our 38th anniversary. Due to time zones and jet lag - we were a day late. I like thinking myself a bit like Billy - but it took me 55 years to get out of my coal mining town to see a bit of the world.

Billy Elliot has been hot in the news back in the states for winning so many Tony Awards on Broadway. Our friends Wayne and Shirley spent $300 on tickets in New York City only to miss the showing due to a mixup. They ended up seeing Jersey Boys - but they have more tickets to see Billy in September. Everyone wants to see this Elton John scored musical - driving ticket prices through the roof.

The musical is set in 1984/1985 - the year of the Great Miners Strike in Britain and the year of my 50 day teachers' strike in Pennsylvania. Just as my Dad struck and his mine was closed in the 50s - Prime Minister Maggie Thatcher was successfully making an effort to break the union and eventually close the mines. Billy is a young boy being raised by his coal miner father and brother. Billy wanted to be a ballet dance - but his family thought that ballet was too feminine.

Sitting next to us in the front row was Spencer. Billy Elliot has special meaning to him. Spencer has attended every Thursday night show for the last four years! Even though he also saw the matinee a few hours before - simple math (4 years x 50 weeks) has him attending 200 shows. He just loves the show. Every now and then he would give me a nudge and show me where to look to not miss the special action. Not since Nancy's cousin attending over 100 Barry Manilow concerts have I met such a rabid fan. He was wearing his Billy Elliot shirt - carrying his Bill Elliot bag - and showing us his collection of signatures and playbills. He made the night extra special for us.

Lulu will be taking her class to see Billy Elliot on July 6th. We will be sitting in the lower balcony. I am looking forward to seeing the show from a different perspective.

"Oy dancing boy!"' "Oy Spencer!"



No comments: