Search This Blog

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Harry and Lulu Do Billy Elliot - "Solidarity Forever"


Our favorite play is Billy Elliot. It is a story of the son of a coal miner that wants to be a ballet dancer. It reminds me so much of life back home in the Coal Regions of Pennsylvania - with the striking miners - brick row homes - union hall - and "scabs."

This afternoon - Lulu and I went down to the Victoria Palace to see if we could get some good seats for the play. Last year - we took Keith along and were lucky to score 3 seats in the second row from the center stage. To our surprise - we were able to get the same seats for tonight's 7:30 show.

The tickets were 25 pounds each - about $40. For some reason they call the first two rows "obstructed view." For the life me I do not know what the obstruction is. The ticket seller said they are called that because kids have a hard time seeing above the edge of the stage. Last year when we sat there - the view was fantastic. The best part to me was that the guy who sat behind us paid 80 pounds and had to look around my head.

I hope to sneak a few video clips tonight - and post them here tomorrow.

Picture - directly behind us is the Victoria Palace - home of the Billy Elliot Show. Why go to Broadway - pay 5 times as much - when you can hear real British accents - and not have to fight the crowds.

No comments: