Search This Blog

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Guess Who Got Jury Duty?


After 40 years of voting faithfully - my name was finally picked for jury duty. On Friday - I was selected to a jury.

I cannot talk about the case now - but after the trial I plan to give a blow by blow narrative about how things went.

One funny moment was when the judge and attorneys where grilling the perspective jurors. The judge got to me - and I explained that I was a retired teacher that moved to Florida. In front of the large court room crowd he exclaimed, "Aren't you the trailing spouse?" The entire room gasped and I blushed. He said he read my stuff all the time. Even a judge is not immune to my silliness. There's my 15 seconds of fame.

After sitting all day in a crowded courtroom - it is a humbling moment when 300 jurors are whittled down to 8 people sitting in the jury box. It has been 6 years since I sat through "working 9 to 5" - some would say 40 years. It is solemn moment when the entire court room - even the judge - rises to watch 8 common every day folk leave the room.

The Leon County Court House is directly across the street from the Florida State Capitol - about one mile from my home. I was able to ride my Vespa scooter to work - saving the taxpayers from paying my parking fees. Since I am unemployed I can keep the $23 a day salary - about $3 an hour. Do I have to claim that on my income tax?

My case starts on Monday from 9 to 5 unless the case is settled over the weekend and I am out of a job again.

No comments: