Search This Blog

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Why the Trailing Spouse Spent Winter Break in Syracuse?








Lulu makes a real effort to give exciting birthday presents – but this year she outdid herself. We had some frequent flyer miles from our recent trips - so she used them to connect me with “my three sons.” Nothing brings a bigger smile to my face then seeing my two boys and Jack – my only grandchild.

Son Keith lives in Washington ever since he went to Georgetown University. He could be easily bribed to Syracuse because his Hoya basketball team was playing the Orangemen in the Carrier Dome. Since my oldest son Drew is a scientist at the medical school in Syracuse – he is a captive audience. So – it would be a weekend of “three men and a baby.”

It started out innocently enough with Delta offering to upgrade my tickets to first – even though I was flying on a frequent flyer coupon. Somehow I gained enough miles to be called a “medallion” whatever that is. I always thought that first class was pretentious and I would not fall into that pride trap. After flying it – I am convinced it is a plot for businessmen to get free drinks on their company’s tab. Besides having maybe two more inches of leg and butt room – the only benefit besides them hanging up your coat – is that they attempt to get you sloshed before you take off. Whether it was AM or PM – you could see guys having drinks and stuffing little bottles of booze and Twix candy bars into their fancy brief cases as the steward called them by surname. I can’t imagine why anyone would pay for “first class” out of their own paycheck – and I would bet few do.

I arrived in Syracuse safely and just a few feet ahead of the people behind me. It was near midnight so I would have to wait until the morning to see Jack. We wouldn’t have much time to play before the Georgetown/Syracuse noon game. I had planned on spending a lot of money for tickets – they were expecting 32,000 people at the game – and I figured I was going to drop the $300 I got from the ATM machine on three good tickets. Son Drew knows how much I like getting a bargain and my smile exploded when he said his boss gave us his season tickets seats right behind the basket.

The game was great and our Hoya team made a late charge to tie the score as the clock ran out. We were pretty happy with that – but 5 minutes later the happiness was over and we lost. Most of the 32,000 in the crowd were wearing orange – so they were both relieved and happy.

For the rest of the weekend we watched other games on television – played with Jack – and caught our old hometown Hershey Bears playing a hockey game. I even had my first opportunity to be home alone with Jack.

On Monday – Son Keith had to return to Washington for work. That evening I got some really nice alone time with son Drew – the new father. It was like the old days as we were cheering on our Hershey Bears – this time in the old Syracuse War Memorial Arena - home of the NBA Champion Syracuse Nationals of 50 years ago. One moment I swore I saw Paul Newman and the Hanson Triplett’s skate out of the tunnel as they filmed the movie “Slapshot” here. Sometimes I felt my arm slipping around my son as my mind raced back 30 years to when we did a lot of things together. After being a science teacher for 30 years – I was so proud of my PhD son doing “real” scientific research now. It was all worth it.

On Tuesday – everyone had to go to work – and it was my treat to spend some bonding time with Jack. He is 8 months old now – and at the stage where you want to stop time and never let him get a day older. His smile just melts your heart and he laughs at absolutely every thing I do. Everyone was wondering if I could handle Jack for a long spell alone – and I did not want to let anyone down. During my time playing with Jack – I was getting emails and phones calls from Lulu giving me unsolicited advice. She even requested a video chat – so she can sit in Tallahassee and watch Jack bouncing around on her computer screen. He generally has toothpicks in his eyes at naptime – so that would be the real test. It all came back to me from 30 years ago – playing on the floor – being amazed at how easily he ate the big bowl of apple sauce – and using the new diapers with stickier tape and more absorbent material. After a long ride in the Jumperoo and a little time in the swing – his eyes snapped shut right before his Mommy walked in the door. It was déjà vu all over again as I heard my Mom and Dad whisper in my ear saying “how easy it was” as I mouthed how easy it was watching Jack.

The 5 days flew by like lightning. Now it was time to go back home to Tallahassee and Lulu.

The airline emailed saying upgraded my tickets home to first class. Anyone who really knows me can tell you how much I hate the class structure and the snobbishness of folks that feel they are entitled to such treatment. As people passed my seat on the way to the coach seats – I wondered what they thought of the grayhead in jeans playing with his iphone. I am sure it was stenciled on my forehead “free upgrade.”

The temperature barely broke 30 degrees on my whole trip. It is strange what makes me feel good about a trip – usually a bargain or two. This time – it was the free frequent flyer airline ticket – and the free basketball tickets to a prime time game. But what really put it over the top was what greeted me in Atlanta on the way home. The airline offered me $400 to give up my seat – and take the next free flight home. After a week - I returned much richer than when I left.

What more can a man ask for – 5 days with the undivided attention of his “three sons” and a free airline ticket. Does life get any better than this? Do I have to pay income tax on the ticket?

No comments: