Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

After 14 Years - I Will No Longer Use Turbo Tax




I have been using Intuit's Turbo Tax (formerly called Mac-in-Tax) since 1994. It has been a great program for filing my federal income taxes - even my state income taxes when I lived in Pennsylvania. It was a reasonably price program that went through a step by step process to file income tax returns - by paper or over the Internet. One could buy the product and file several returns for friends and other members of your family.

Starting this year - if you buy Turbo Tax for the increased price of $29 - you can use it only to file one tax return. It will charge you $10 for each additional return.

This year - I will try H & R Block's TaxCut. This program continues to allow the filing of many returns. With Turbo Tax - the filer could transfer information from the previous year's return. New users will have to re-enter their name and address in TaxCut. Big deal.

Opinion - In this era of cost cutting measures - I think Intuit cut off its own nose. Their savings will be short term - and they will lose their number one position in the field.

No comments: