Search This Blog

Monday, November 10, 2008

Last Day On The Road



It has been a fantastic 11 days on the road - but it is time to come home. As much as we look forward to our own bed and all of our own toys - this day is the hardest one of all.

On this trip - we got to see Jack two times - once on the way to Europe - and once on the way home. He is such a little guy - but he is growing so fast. Lulu and I have grown head over heals in love with him. He is such a happy baby - and his parents are absolutely fabulous with him. They are both busy with research - jobs - and schools - but it is easy to see who comes first.

As I look at this picture of Drew - Jack - and me - flashbacks of my 60 years come flying back from the deep corners of my mind. In one memory - I am the baby - Drew is my Dad - but grandfather Roy Everhart could not be there because he went down on a ship in WWII long before I was born. It is a void not ever having met my grandfathers. In the next flashback - Drew is the baby - I am the Dad - and a much gentler coal miner Dad is hovering over to help any way he could. Dad gave me everything he could. Now - I just imagine the wonderful future both Drew and Jack are going to have. Drew is a much better father than I ever was.

Here's hoping I am still in the picture in 30 years - and I get to see 4 generations of Everhart's all lined up. That would make me very happy.

Yes - the last day of this trip is the nicest and the hardest.

No comments: