Search This Blog

Friday, September 12, 2008

Harry and Mick Jagger Get Free Home Insulation





In London this summer - while Lulu was teaching for FSU - I was enjoying reading the local news in the gossip tabloids. Besides reading about soccer and looking at the nude girls on page 3 - I read a story about Mick Jagger turning 65. Mick must have made a deal with the devil - because he is in perfect shape and hasn't aged a day in 40 years. Back in 1965 - Mick and I both weighed 130 pounds. Now he still weighs the same and I nearly doubled in size - Lucifer must have been good to him.

The article about Jagger went on talking about his wealth. He is worth 225 million pounds (almost a half billion dollars) - but he still qualifies for a $180 a week pension and free insulation in his home.

I consider myself a bi-polar political personality. My fiscal side is conservative - always balance the budget - never spend more than Lulu earns - everyone should be taxed fairly. My social side is very liberal. I do not care who marries who - who sleeps with whom - no censorship - and equal right for the sexes - races - and choosing who you can love and care for.

Like many people - I went to free public schools - ate surplus government food - got scholarships to state universities - got government student loans - received special mortgage benefits - got my taxes reduced by a homestead exemption - live off a state teacher's pension - am almost at social security age - considering medicare - and my medical insurance and drugs are paid for by by former government employer. Now that I am a senior citizen - I think I am entitled to real estate tax exemption - and I want all the kids to kick into social security so I can loaf into the sunset.

But what really takes the cake - like Mick Jagger - I qualify for almost free home insulation. While on my daily walk - I noticed a neighbor getting insulation blown into his house. He told me that the city will do a free energy audit of my home. If they think I need insulation - they will put it in almost free of charge. The city pays 80% of the cost.

I am always looking for a deal. I called the city. They sent an expert to my house and he deemed that I needed more insulation. He said that my old "ground up newspaper" insulation was next to worthless. He wrote up a free estimate that gives my home an R-38 rating - that is good. I signed the papers.

A week later the insulation men pulled up. The truck was full of bales of fluffy stuff. They ran a big hose into the house and started pumping the stuff into my attic. It piled up to about 16 inches deep. The fellow handling the hose said he was doing this for 22 years. He told me that many people do not take advantage of the offer because they must pay about 20%. the job was done in less than 2 hours. They left the house neat and clean.

It may be my imagination - but it seems like my air conditioner runs a lot less. It also seems much quieter in the house. The expert claimed that I would probably get my $200 back on my power bills in 6 months.

The whole project is justified by the power company cutting down peak demand of electricity - so that they will not have to build as many power plants.

There are "green" people - folks that like to conserve power to "save the planet." Then there are "GREEN" people that just like to conserve money. Which category do you put Mick and me? Call the city and join in. You qualify at any age.

No comments: