Search This Blog

Monday, August 04, 2008

Thames River Tunnel As Close to Claustrophobia As I Get







I spent the entire day today on a trip to the Royal Observatory at Greenwich - a section in East London. Since I taught Earth and Space Science for 33 years - I had to visit this mecca of science history. But that story will come later.

My friend J P Brown and I took a boat down the Thames River a few miles. When we got off the boat - we saw this round domed building. It looked a bit like an observatory - but we wondered why is was so close to the river. After reading the sign - we were surprised to find a foot tunnel under the Thames River. We decided that a trip to London would not be complete without using the tunnel. We had a choice to go down 50 spiral steps or use the elevator. I felt like we were descending into the gates of hell - as we went deeper and deeper. It felt like climbing down a lighthouse - except it got darker and colder as we went down.

When we hit the bottom - one could see a very narrow round tunnel maybe 9 feet in high - disappearing into the distance. The tunnel was bowed a bit - so that when someone came toward you - you first saw their feet - legs - and finally their head. This bowing gave one the feeling that the whole thing was caving in on you. The tunnel is about 1300 feet long - and only bravado kept me going. I was not going to chicken out in front of J P. So i kept going - focusing mostly on my feet.

We arrived at the other end - and it was comforting to see that the elevator had an operator that spent his entire day in the tunnel. He was reading a London Tabloid - and hardly lifted his eyes to press the buttons or talk to us.

We got outside and the fresh breeze and sunshine never felt so good. I took a picture across the river to see the Greenwich Maritime Museum - and the tunnel on the other side. One should have posted a sign with the words, "Abandon hope - all ye who enter." I also looked around for an alternative way to cross the river.

Without mentioning claustrophobia - we entered the tunnel again. This time I started a long boring story to tell my friend - to occupy my mind. I also looked down at the ground most of the time so that I could not see the bowed cast iron ceiling nor the headless feet of people coming toward me. After dodging a couple bike riders - we were outside. A sense of relief filled my body. I have been in closed quarter before - even a few deep Anthracite coal mines. I spelunked the limestone caves near my alma mater - Kutztown State Teachers College. But this was as close to claustrophobia as I have gotten. I must take Lulu there.

No comments: