Search This Blog

Friday, July 18, 2008

Trailing Spouse Lands Front Row - Lulu Plays Maria in The Sound of Music at the London Palladium

Lulu works until around 5PM. So I decided on Thursday afternoon to go to the Apple Store and learn a bit about the iMovie program. Apple offers free workshops all day so I set out on an 8 block walk to Regent Street. On the way - I passed the Palladium Theatre. I remembered that this was the place where Beatlemania started when the world learned of the Beatles. The marquee outside said The Sound of Music was playing there - Lulu's favorite movie and play. If you do not know the story - it is about a singing family that escaped from Austria and the Nazi occupation. The front door was open and I walked inside to the box office.

The man at the box office was very nice. He said, "Aren't you the Trailing Spouse?" I was astonished but said, "yes." He told me it was my lucky day. He had 2 tickets in the front row - right in the center. He said they call that area the stalls. He offered them for free - but I insisted on paying something. I said, "How about 20 pounds each." I could not believe it - I had 2 front row tickets to Lulu's all time favorite for 7:30PM. I thought he said we were sitting in the "stools" - so I would have to make sure Lulu wore trousers.

Not all of the above paragraph is true - but I did have 2 front row center tickets for the show - and Lulu did not even know.

I crossed the street and had new incentive to learn the iMovie program. I planned to do a video of Lulu's big night at the Palladium.

After an hour or so - I went back to the flat to wait for Lulu and tell her the news. But at 5PM - no Lulu - 6 PM - no Lulu. Finally at 6:30PM she came in. I thought she would be too tired - but when I told her of the tickets - we both scurried the 7 blocks to theatre. I reminded Lulu to wear trousers because of the "stools." We got there at 6:50PM. We saw a pub across the street - and the waiter assured us that we could have supper in time for the show. He didn't lie.

At 7:20PM - we waded through the crowd - and into the theatre. The usher told us to go down a set of steps into the bowels of this old theatre. Then we entered a dark brick tunnel - but we finally saw the light at the end. We went up the steps - and we were next to the orchestra. The seats were fantastic. But no stools :-)

The show to me was not as good as Buddy Holly - but better than Wicked - and on a par with Lion King. But sitting where I could tap the conductor on the shoulder made it perfect for me. Even with my poor hearing - I could read the lips of the cast.

The show started and they were adamant about not taking photographs. As the theatre darkened - I thought - who was going to catch me. I set my little Canon camera on video and held it in my lap. I had to record a few clips to "show" Lulu when she pinched herself in bed thinking it was a dream. My knees can be seen in the video - also the stage edge clipped a bit because I did not dare pick up the camera.

The show was great. Lulu knew every word - but contained herself.