Search This Blog

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Lulu and The Trailing Spouse See "The Lion King"






Lulu loves to go to the theatre and last night it was the Lyceum in London for "The Lion King."

"The Lion King" is one of my favorite stories - and I may be one of the few folks that like the movie better than the Broadway or the London productions. While Lulu was marveling over the costumes and dance routines - I never could "get" the dancing grass. I guess I am a guy that does not "get" nuance - you have to hit me over the head even with the word subtle.

Having just turned 60 - and holding my grandson Jack less than a week ago for the first time - tears come to my eyes with I see Musafo holding up Simba on Pride Rock. The Lion King is based on a song - "Circle of Life." Like someone once said, "there are no new stories - just different names doing the same thing." This week I was doing my best Musafo impression with Jack on Pride Rock. - 30 years ago my Dad held up Drew - now Drew is the 30 year old father - and I am the grandpa. There is a certain sadness in the Circle of Life. A few years later - my Dad was gone. Also as men get older - they have more estrogen in their bodies :-)

It was nice walking along the Strand in London seeing everyone dressed up and going to the shows. It was also nice not having a bunch of ghetto blasters blaring away from park benches or passing automobiles - and we did not see a soul with his jeans down to his knees and his cleavage showing. In my opinion - London is a more civilized New York City. One feels very comfortable roaming around at midnight although I still keep my wallet in my front pocket.

After the show - we went to a pub called "The Coal Hole." England was built on a culture of coal miners - the industrial revolution made Britain a world leader for over 100 years. It felt like being back in the hills of Pennsylvania where there used to be a pub on every corner in town.

The FSU Study Center provided tickets for all the students. It was full house at the theatre - and The Trailing Spouse went along to carry Lulu's tickets.



Pictures - Lyceum theatre - Lion King tickets - Simba on Pride Rock - Sarabi, Mufasa, Simba, Lion King - Visiting the Coal Hole.

No comments: