Search This Blog

Friday, May 16, 2008

Trailing Spouse Spends Three Days in Ocala

Lulu has a convention in Ocala - so here I am sitting in hotel room in this Central Florida town. I guess the sessions have something to do with school libraries - but my job is essentially to drive the van - carry the bags - find breakfast - and provide evening entertainment.

Whenever we drive downstate - the big choice is "the backway" or "the interstate." If we drive down one way - we usually come back the other way. This time we chose Route 27 south. It never fails when I am sitting on the porch of the State Capitol and gazing down Apalachee Parkway - I announce, "You can take Route 27 all the way to Miami." Even as you gaze down the road you can see it gently make the big bend south.

We are started out going down Saint Augustine Road to imagine traveling in the old days through this beautiful North Florida country. About 10 miles outside of town - it changes back into Route 27. The afternoon traffic was very light - sometimes you could not see a car in front of you or behind you. The gasoline prices edge close to $4.00 a gallon - I wonder if Americans have changed their driving habits yet as the price moves ever upward. It hasn't changed our choice of vehicles because we saw very few compact cars or motorcycles - mostly big SUVS - trucks - and campers. I cringed when a motor home went by towing an SUV. I thought,"At 4 miles per gallon and $4.00 per gallon - it is costing that guy a buck a mile!"

Three hours and 175 miles later we are in Ocala. To my surprise the convention is at a hotel along I-75 - not downtown.

After a night of checking out the swimming pool - eating supper at Cracker Barrel - and sleeping in a strange bed - Lulu is up early. She dresses and rushes off to meet her fellow librarians. That leaves me a whole day to enjoy touring a new town. Not many people can get excited over touring Ocala - but away I went.

First - I went to the downtown square to find a "local place" for breakfast. I was not disappointed  at Richard's on Silver Springs Boulevard. They only serve breakfast and lunch - it was full of gray headed "early birds" and "snow birds." They were a noisy crowd - I guess because they have to speak loudly to hear each other.  The food was hot - fresh - fast - and almost everyone was having the "special" which included a beverage for $5. 

After that - I visited Silver Springs hoping I could take Lulu back there after supper for a discount admission. Unfortunately - they close at 5 PM.

The next stop was the Appleton Civic Center and Art Museum. For $4 - I toured this beautiful museum alone - senior discount. It reminded me of the Getty Museum in California - they must have a big endowment to pay the 20 or so guards that watched the place. All of the art was unprotected - for closeup viewing. 

After years of zooming down I-75 past the Don Garlit's Drag Racing Museum - it was time for a visit. There were a total of 4 cars in the parking lot on this hot breezy spring day. Inside - you are amazed at the number of cars and the excellent displays. Walking around alone - the displays seem to whisper memories of your past. Just like old music - each car reminds you of "what your were doing" then - like an old Vietnam flashback.  

After that - it was back to the hotel room - I am supposed to have supper planned for Lulu. There is a car show on the square downtown - in front of Harry's Restaurant. All along I thought the restaurant in Tallahassee was named in my honor when we moved to town. To my chagrin - I find out that it is another chain. 

Word has it that they are painting the lines on the highway tomorrow. Maybe I will sit around and watch the paint dry.

No comments: