Search This Blog

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Trailing Spouse Gets a Good Look at "Mrs. Robinson" - And So Does George



Last night - ZONTA (the women's service club) - was sponsoring a night at The Little Theatre on Thomasville Road to see The Graduate. The show will be playing quite a bit in the next 2 weeks - but it is always great to see opening night.

Lulu and I saw The Graduate on Broadway about 5 years ago - but that time our seats were in the balcony - almost the last row. Lorraine Bracco was Mrs. Robinson and my 55 year old eyes did not see much of the "action" in that dark theatre. This time I was determined to see it all - as I made a beeline to the front row center - saving seats for Lulu - George - and Joel.

George had hurt his back yesterday doing some heavy lifting. I saw him about noon as he was writhing in pain on his sofa. I thought that he was not going anywhere for a couple weeks - but a strong painkiller and his desire to see the show - had him gabbing away as my front row accomplice.

If you are too young to remember the movie from the 60s - Dustin Hoffman was Benjamin - a kid fresh out of college that got caught up in a love triangle with a mother and daughter. The movie was earth shaking even during the Swinging Sixties.

Last year - ZONTA had sponsored The Full Monty - a show that included full frontal nudity of several men - although they were obscured by some excellent lighting. Having that show in mind - I wanted to make sure they didn't trick me again - and they didn't.

The comedy included Mrs. Robinson in the "all together" and with my nearsightedness I was happy I insisted on the front row. For my wife's sake - that is the closest I have been to another person in that state of clothing - ever. But the hilarity of the situation had the Tallahassee Bible Belt crowd enjoying every minute of it - and also feeling pretty smug that they were able to enjoy it in mixed company with the darkness of the theatre hiding their blushing faces.

I am sorry to dwell upon the nudity but - "no Buck Rogers - no bucks." The play moved very fast - the actors superb. The costumes and sets could get any baby boomer into the mood - for a trip into the past.

Lulu could have played a perfect Elaine when we married back in 1971. Today - she would be a better Mrs. Robinson. Of course - then and now - I would have given Dustin Hoffman a run for his money - insert little typo smiley here.

I am sorry that I did not get a playbill last night to mention the leading actors today - but this does not detract from the fine job they did and the mood they set - telling us how it might have been in the 60s.

I give two thumbs up and hope you get out to see the show. You will not be bored. I wonder how George's back is today.

No comments: