Search This Blog

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Before There Was "MTV" There Was "American Bandstand"







Every January Lulu goes to the mid-winter convention of the American Library Association. This year the Trailing Spouse gets to visit his old haunts in Philadelphia - the "big city" to his hometown in the hills.

One of the biggest influences on me during my "wonder years" was American Bandstand. It all started at a little TV station - WFIL-TV in Philladelphia. Dick Clark was the emcee - and rock and roll and the kids of West Philadelphia were the stars. It was eventually shown all over the country. From 1956 to 1964 - the Sounds of Philadelphia invaded almost every American home as kids rushed home from school to see what the Philly kids were wearing, how they combed their hair, what dance steps they were doing, and of course the music.

While roaming around town on foot - I started walking west on Market Street from city hall. I knew roughly where the studio was so I walked and walked - 46 blocks. I was hoping something was left from that golden era of rock and roll. At the corner of 46th and Market - sits a lonely little TV studio. By today's standard - it is miniature. It was designed from the ground up for television. A state historical marker is the only thing left that tells the story.

About a block away is West Philadelphia Catholic High School - at dismissal the kids would rush down the sidewalk and into the studio to get ready to be on national TV. A few years back a television show called "American Dreams" followed the adventures of a young lady that went to West Philly High in her plaid skirt and became a regular on the show. Just the sight of this old building brings back things like - Carmen with the streak in her hair, what a scandel - and the music judging contest, "I liked the beat I gave it an 80."

Fabian, Frankie Avalon, Connie Francis, Fats Domino, Sam Cooke, Ricky Nelson, Elvis, The Shirelles, The Chiffons, Lesley Gore, Brenda Lee, Jerry Lee Lewis, Bobby Rydell, Billy Cannon - "She's my Tallahassee lassie......down in F-L-A."

Being here reminds me of the words of a song, "I've looked at life from both sides now." I am having a parallax moment.
When I was a kid - Philadelphia seemed such a big, sophisticated, and faraway city. Now - almost 60 years old - as I return from my new home in Florida - it is an old and familiar face. It has a homey feeling. Has Philly changed or have I? Is Philadelphia the same or am I? Maybe its all in your perspective.

It is quiet in this neighborhood now. They are rebuilding the "El" station next door - so the construction site keeps traffic from passing by the front door. The air was still and I was alone with my thoughts. Mom used to say my hearing would go bad because I listened to all that loud music. She was right. But I leaned my ear against that yellow brick building and just for a moment I could hear all the music of the 50s and 60s still vibrating in the walls.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story. I -- now 60 years old -- recall each detail you mentioned. I once again saw Annette and Bobby and the gang, heard the old rockers, re-lived that happy past. Thanks for the memories and for reminding us that looking at life from both sides has its pleasures, too.
Shirley

Anonymous said...

Thanks Harry.
Bob Horn was the original host from 1952 'til 1956.
He was fired after drunk driving. Did not quite fit in with the wholesomeness of the show?

Mary L Zimmerman said...

Went there for my 16th birthday. Seems like yesterday!