Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

I Sold My Truck and Bought a Trailer





























Ever since we bought the Honda Van - my little white truck has been doing a lot of sitting - collecting dust. It was a 1998 Ford Ranger with 177,000 miles on it. It ran and looked great - but the high miles scared a lot of buyers away. It sold for $4300. We used it 2 years. It was bought and sold on Craigslist. 

We replaced it with a cute little red folding trailing bought at Harbor Freight - one of my favorite places on earth. Harbor Freight is a store that sells inexpensive tools made in China. They have a wonderful variety and I can walk the 1/2 mile distance to it from my home. After discounts and tax - it cost $217.

The trailer folds up into a neat little package that can be stored in my barn. It folds out to make a 4 x 8 platform which can hold 1000 pounds.

Wayne and Shirley are building a deck with a hot tub. To my surprise - Wayne is quite a good carpenter. He also worked for a stint as a transcontinental moving van driver - so he is not afraid of heavy lifting. Figuring on Wayne and Shirley's usual hourly fee - the deck is going to cost $100,000 in labor and $2000 in materials. Wayne is normally an Information Science professor - Shirley is a law professor.

In the picture you see Wayne and Shirley in their Wisconsin Lumberjack pose. This was the first load for the trailer - and I must say - it did a great job. Then we unloaded the load of heavy treated lumber. The trailer is available to any of our friends that have a trailer hitch - 1 7/8 inch ball.  :-)

Pictures - 
Trailer folded up in barn.
The truck I sold on Craigslist.
The first trailer load.









No comments: