Search This Blog

Thursday, November 22, 2007

We are going to Gainesville for the FSU at UF game Saturday



The Trailing Spouse has lived in Tallahassee for almost 4 years. My friends all tell me that you aren't a real Seminole until you have followed them to the Swamp in Gainesville. Well tomorrow I am going to do them one better. We are going to Gainesville to see the Seminoles play a basketball game and a football game - without tickets.

Two of my family are FSU alumni. Lulu got her doctorate here in 1990. At the time we came here for a sabbatical - which is fancy language for "taking a year off with pay." We pulled the boys - who were 10 and 11 at the time - out of school up north and forced them to attend Cobb Middle School and Moore Elementary School for a year. It was a great year and turned the 4 of us to Noles. Even though the boys went to college at Duke and Georgetown - their feet have been firmly planted in the red clay soils of Northern Florida. After countless trips through the Atlanta airport to Tallahassee and bowl games - they have earned at least honorary helmet spears.

My son Keith got his masters here in 2005 - he now works in Washington DC - but it does not take much arm twisting to get the prodigal son to return for a Noles game or two. This trip he came early enough for the Maryland game last weekend and stayed on to drive to "Gatorland" with us for the 2 games.

I always wanted to say this so here it goes - "being retired and on a fixed income" - we seldom buy games tickets in advance. I like to stand outside the stadium holding fingers up to purchase spare tickets. We have been very lucky. I must look pretty pathetic because often times people will offer me free tickets as they go through the turnstile. A great example would be last Saturday at Doak - we got 4 tickets on the 50 yard line for a total of $30. To be sure - you never know where you will be sitting - but 99% of the time you get great seats at low prices.

Back in 1988 - when we lived in Tallahassee for the year - my sons broke their piggy banks and bought season tickets to the Seminole games. They thought Deion Sanders was the greatest player ever - and I do not blame them. My sons are 29 and 30 now - and a trip to a Noles game is not complete without them throwing a football as we tailgate with friends.

Lulu worked really hard on the Internet and finally got a hotel room in a one star hotel not too far from the stadium. We will leave Tallahassee tomorrow right after the volleyball game at Tully Gym and be "eastbound and down" to Hogtown.

Check on my blog at - www.harry.everhart.com - for pictures from the game and trip - and find out how lucky we were. If anybody has some extra tickets - let me know.

No comments: