Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Installing Ceiling in My Barn




This week - Keith and I were busy in my workshop installing a ceiling. At first we were just going to paint the ceiling - and stain the beams a darker color. After rolling the ceiling - we started on the beams - and we soon realized it would take forever.

So we decided to just buy some plywood and install a conventional ceiling. First - we decided to paint the plywood panels before we hung them. The painting went great - two coats. But trying to manhandle those boards was killing us.

Lulu is addicted to home improvement shows. She suggested that we rent a drywall hoist. I heard they were expensive - but after a call to Home Depot - I decided that my back was worth the $30 a day rental.

The "lift" worked like a dream. The panels could be pressed against the ceiling in the exact location. One could then easily nail them in place with the air gun.

Since Keith had to fly home - I was on my own. The "clock was running" - I had 24 hours to complete the task - or pay another $30. That was more than enough incentive to keep me working.

By 5 PM on Tuesday - I was done. I was tired and sore - but I had 2 hours to spare to return the hoist.

All that is left is a few cracks to spackle - and then some touchup paint. Not bad for a one-eyed coal cracker.

No comments: