Search This Blog

Friday, November 30, 2007

Flying West with a GPS and Digital Camera






Yesterday we took 3 flights from Tallahassee to Phoenix. So we got to see Charlotte and Denver along the way.

I enjoy staring out the window and trying to figure out where we are. The first time I flew as a kid I was disappointed that the boundaries were not drawn on the ground with dotted lines and the states were not different colors. Now 50 years later - the next best thing is having a GPS. It tells you exactly where you are - and you can pick out rivers - roads - towns - and mountains.

Here are a couple pictures of from my plane seat.

1. COLORADO - The Denver Airport where the plains meet the Rocky Mountains. Thankfully our plane did not meet the mountains. Just 2 weeks ago - Lulu and I were slugging it through the Donner Pass west of Reno.
2. NEW MEXICO - Shiprock - One of my favorite travel stories to tell is when my boys and I took a rental Cadillac across sacred Indian grounds and put the bumper up to this ancienct 1800 foot high tall volcanic neck.
3. ARIZONA - This is the eastern end of the Grand Canyon where the 2 million year old erosional ditch it not as deep.

I was using a Garmin Nuvi 200 GPS and a Canon G7 Digital Camera.

It is amazing that a trip that would have taken pioneers months to travel through perilous lands - now takes but a few hours by jet and one could nap the whole way.

No comments: