Search This Blog

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Touring Nevada





Happy Nevada Day!

While Lulu is busy at the convention - I am enjoying the site and sounds of Nevada.

Reno sits in the middle of nowhere - it is desert and mountains in all directions. Historically - it was very important because the national railroad crossed right through town. In the 1920s - folks traveling west had to stop for a break on Highway US 50. Today I-80 passes thru on its way from New York to San Francisco.

In 1977 - Lulu - Drew - my Dad - and I stopped here for a night while crossing the country in our first camper. Drew was about 6 months old - but we all enjoyed the trip in a Chevy Chevette with no air conditioning and our Scamp trailer. the main attraction at that time was Bill Harrah's Car Collection. Yes - in the middle of July I suffered Nancy through the tour of 1400 perfectly restored cars in museums without air conditioning.

Yesterday - I revisited some of that collection. When bill Harrah died - his company auctioned off most of his car collection. They donated 220 cars to a non-profit company in downtown Reno. The cars are still perfect and for $9.00 - you can wander through the air new museumon the Truckee River right in downtown.

I was surprised to find the river flowing so fast in the middle of the desert. It runs west to east form Lake Tahoe to Pyramid Lake - a distance of maybe 30 miles.

Pictures that interested me -walking along the banks of the Truckee River - a little town called Panther Valley about 5 miles north of Reno - my first car was a 1956 Volkswagen Convertible like this one - and a small scooter soild in the 60s called the Centaur. It went 40 MPH - got 100 MPG - and folded up into a 90 pound suitcase.

I am typing this from my car parked in Carson City on Nevada Day. There is a big parade here - lots of guns shooting off - plenty of whiskey drinking on the streets - and a few flyovers of old planes.

It is a tough life being a trailing spouse - now I must drive back to Reno Convention Center - pick up Lulu after her "show" - go back to the hotel and cheer for the Noles against Duke. I am worn out.

No comments: