Search This Blog

Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Ipod Touch Versus an Old White iBook



As you can tell - I travel a lot - but I love to sit online - surfing
the net - and checking my email. I am looking for the perfect
computer for travel.

I thought that the ipod touch would be the perfect machine for me.
For $300 - I thought I would have a nice little PDA that would store
all my vital information - and also allow me to check email and surf
the net. But the jury is still out on this one.

The ipod touch is compact - even skinnier and lighter than the iphone
- but it has the same screen and "keyboard." It is probably great
for some people - but I find it laying around collecting dust here.

1. The ipod touch is a fantastic music player with a interface that
is the best ever. You search thru songs and album just by flicking
your finger thru the album art.
2. Viewing and cataloging pictures and videos works in the same manner.
3. The calendar is solid - as is the contacts - clocks - calculator.
4. Also you can buy music straight from the itune store.

Problem for me is - I seldom play music - nor do I prefer to carry a
bunch of videos and pictures.

What I want is - internet access - and to easily be able to read and
write email. Also - I want to be able to take notes easily.

My macbook is perfect for my travels - except one looks stupid
walking around the streets in cities with one - especially carrying
it on a bike. Also - you all know my troubles of getting an expensive
macbook swiped while in San Diego.

My alternative was purchasing a white ibook G3 from Greg for $300. It
does everything I want - is actually smaller than the macbook - the
battery lasts a long time - and its processor is plenty fast for the
things I do. Also - I keep a full copy of the Encyclopedia Britannica
2008 - great for looking up stuff you see on your travels -
especially when you can't get online - like in a car or plane.

I have not made my mind up yet - but I am guessing the ipod touch
will be on ebay before this month runs out.

Some might say - Harry buy an iphone - like your son did. He has had
his iphone since the first day and loves it. But there are plenty of
reasons against that for me. First - I can't stand having a meter
running - namely paying a monthly fee. Second - the little screen
keyboard is difficult for me to type on. Third - I get maybe 2 or 3
phone calls a day.

That being said - the little white ibook looks better and better
every hour.

Envision this - Harry riding his bike around Disneyworld. Left front
pocket - car keys and change. Right front pocket - little LG cell
phone. Left rear pocket - wallet. Right rear pocket - ipod touch.
Shirt pocket - GPS Nuvi 200. Belt pouch - Canon G7 Camera. Next thing
you know I will be wearing a fishing vest to carry - sun glasses - a
can of coke - snacks - handiwipes - tire gauge - adjustable wrench -
sun lotion - bug spray - hotel card.

Then - the sun goes down earlier here - and I am caught in the dark
about 7 miles from my hotel on the bike - and a Disney cop stops me
thinking I am a terrorist. He says, "Did you ride all the way from
there to here?" After a yes he says, "Be careful getting back!" I
say, "I'll email you."

No comments: