Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Florida State University Names Science Lab After My Friend George Dawson



One of the hardest parts about being a Trailing Spouse is finding good friends. Today I want to tell you about the best one I have found here.

George and Joel Dawson are our neighbors. They live near Myers Park in downtown Tallahassee. They have taken on the task as the "GODparents" of Lulu and me. George and Joel are retired science teachers - just like me - except George Odes Dawson has the initials to prove it.

George was a science professor at Florida State University for over 30 years. I doubt that there is a science teacher in the state that does not know about George's accomplishments or has not used some of the programs that he designed. George was making videodisks before there were even CDs.

Flashback - I am cheating a little. I first met George in 1988 - when Lulu came to FSU to earn her doctorate. George was looking for a middle school science teacher with wacky ideas that incorporated computer technology in their classroom. Yes - even back then I wasted a lot of time typing into my Apple II Computer. I wrote a silly cover letter to George and he immediately flew me down from Pennsylvania and hired me.

Back in those days - George was bringing millions of dollars into FSU from the National Science Foundation and Houghton-Mifflin Textbook Company - back when a million dollars was worth a million dollars. His interactive programs in science education were top drawer in the best school in the country. Why else would FSU make him a full professor and professor emeritus even though he never wasted his time getting a doctor's degree. George is/was a practitioner - he is/was more interested in results than theory.

Today at 5PM - the Science Education Department bestowed an even greater honor on him. They named the Science Education Laboratory after him. A large group of past and present students and faculty gathered to honor him and present the plaque to him. Even former President Marshall made the appearance to honor George.

Recently - George was honored by his old high school back in Louisville. He was inducted into their Hall of Fame.



Usually these kind of honors are presented when it is too late for the honoree to enjoy them. Not George - at 71 he still goes off-road biking every week. A month does not go by without Joel planning another trip.

Last fall - George and Joel completed the cycle by taking a "steamer" to Antarctica. Next month - they will take their granddaughter to London and Paris. Just two weeks ago they were skiing in Whistler, Canada - out near Seattle.



George is an excellent role model and my hero. He is showing me the right way to retire. His attitude toward helping others - trying to leave the planet a better place for the kids - and keeping physically active - is inspiring to me.

If you are a Trailing Spouse - I hope you find a friend like George.

No comments: