Search This Blog

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Drew Got a Neat Present - The SlingBox

Drew got this really neat device called a Slingbox.

Slingbox is a computer device that you attach to your Tivo or any other video device with your router. Then when you are away from home - you can watch your home TV or video source over the internet. It is hard to explain how neat this is.

Drew gave me a demonstration. He lives in Syracuse NY. He uses a Directivo at home to watch and record TV programs. So the Slingbox is hooked directly to the Directivo via the red-white-yellow inputs. He then called me and asked me to go to the Slingbox page and download a piece of software. Then he gave me a password to type in to get directly to his TV system over the net.

Like magic - his TV program appeared on my computer. Better yet -- the remote control also appeared on my screen - and I could change channels - select programs he recorded on his Tivo - I could also set his tivo to record other programs with the remote. There is an exact graphic of his Tivo Remote - just press buttons on the screen.

The picture quality is excellent - better than regular cable. You can buy an HDTV version also. There is no fee to use this. You get excellent TV picture and sound for free as long as you are hooked to the internet.

You could also use it to monitor a security service from afar or maybe monitoring your office from home. The uses are endless. Anything that transfers video via the red-white-yellow inputs is fair game.

My son got his box for $102 on the internet. They are available for $150 to $250 at stores. The $250 model has a regular cable input so you could directly connect it to your TV cable at home.

Imagine sitting in your hotel room in Hong Kong and watching the local Tallahassee news or you favorite TV show.

I know what Santa is going to get me/her for Christmas. My wife travels a lot in her job. she would love watching her soaps and other favorite channels - also the Tallahassee news.

No comments: