Search This Blog

Friday, June 23, 2006

Biking New Orleans at 6 AM - This City Needs Help






4 giant beignets after 10 pm - he will pay for that later.

Our buddy Wayne spent the last 2 weeks in Europe with his wife - daughter - and granddaughter. But he flew home early because he did not want to miss the ALA convention. So Wayne flew in at midnight. We brought his suitcase from Tallahassee - so i figured I would deliver it by bike at 6am.

Believe it or not - with one strap around my neck and the suitcase on the handlebars - I could have gone for miles - much farther than the 1.5 mile distance between our hotels. At 6 am - there was very little traffic - mostly construction workers going to their sites. I saw a few of the 20,000 librarians floating around.

The streets around our Bourbon Street hotel were strewn with garbage from the night before - not as bad as we saw on previous visits - but the crowds are no longer here. The buildings in the French Quarter seem pretty nice - but it is an oasis in a desert of disaster.

Last night - Nancy and I ate at a barbacue ribs joint on Bourbon Street. Food was great - but the place was maybe 1/3 full. It may have been 7 pm when we ate. Then we went to Cafe du Monde for Beingets - again - the place was half full. At about 10 pm - I took a picture of Fat Tuesdays - a bar famous for their mixed frozen drinks. You can see that every bar seat was empty.

Pictures -
1 - Ears - nose - glasses - hair - this picture makes me realize that I have turned into my dad.
2 - Nancy in front of our Royal Sonesta Hotel at 7 pm - note the sparse crowd on Bourbon Street.
3 - My folding bike in front of the Super Dome around sunrise.
4 - Fat Tuesday at 10 pm - every bar stool was empty - usually lines waiting

No comments: