Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Can a GPS Save Your Marriage?






I got that GPS today in the mail. It is a sweet item - endless features - an easy to become an expert quickly.

It is the Garmin C320 running Street Pilot software. It stores the info on an SD Chip - it came with a 128 meg one - I just ordered a 1 gig one at buy.com for $19. With that you will be able to store all of the US information. Florida - Georgia - Alabama - Louisiana - used up the 128 meg.

I used a PC to load the software. It is pretty simple for a PC. Put the disk in the - PC - hook the GPS via USB port - select states from the map - and load.

The screen is color - about 4 inches wide. All controls are touch screen except on and off - and speaker volume. The menus are easy to navigate.

It shows the maps in 3D or birds eye view straight down. I prefer 3D. It also shows you speed - direction - ET - distance - etc.

To get to a place you type its name right on the screen - it remembers it for future use - it helps you type. You then tell it to go and it maps out the route.

The speaker tells you when to turn and you can see it on the screen.

My first time I used it - I put the little suction device on my scooter mirror - and it directed me home. It gives you plenty of warning for turns.

It runs on 110AC - 12DC - even on its own rechargeable lithium battery.

It also has listed of all restaurants - hotels - gas stations - tells you how far - and directs you to them. It even has their address and phone number. This feature seems very valuable. You hit "French" and just French restaurants are listed.

It finds the satellite very easily and locks on well. No need for an outside antenna but it has a plug outlet for one if you insist.

The SD chip goes in the side just like a camera.

It has a docking cradle that has a wire and suction device hooked to it.

I was surprised at how bright and how loud it is - I heard it easily on the scooter - and also saw it in 12 noon sunlight.

Best Buy sells it for $445 - I bought it NEW at outpost for $279.

It also has a satellite clock - a satellite gauge - a battery gauge.

You can zoom in and out by touch the + or -.

The little lake behind my house is even on the map.

It also shows you the direction you are moving - like NW.

We have 3 big trips going on this summer - and it will be fun driving with this thing. I expect it to cut down arguments between driver and navigator :-)

Maybe we will go out for German food tonight - too bad it is 173.5 miles west in Gulf Breeze :-)

I give this toy 5 teddy bears out of 5.

No comments: