Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

One of My Students Makes News as a Teacher in Florida



This story appeared in the news here in Florida. I love this picture. It is of Steve Simchak the father - taken by Steve Simchak the son - both were my students. The three women are Natashia - Alexis - Amber Simchak. They were all my students and two of them are teachers. Natashia on the left teaches here in Florida and this story is about her.

School Considers Building Housing for Teachers.

Lee County schools could someday build a dormitory or manage an
apartment complex exclusively for new teachers and school workers who
are being priced out of Southwest Florida's red-hot real estate market

Colonial Elementary teacher Natasha Simchak, 23, never expected the
financial struggles she's felt since moving here last summer. She
feels stuck in her mold-ridden apartment because its $620 monthly rent
is about all she can afford after paying utility bills, student loans,
auto insurance, gas and buying food.

"I don't spend a lot of money; I'm pretty frugal," Simchak said. "I
used to like paying bills because you feel self-sufficient. But now
it's so stressful."

At the end of a month, Simchak said she's left with about $40 of
spending cash. This weekend, she's using that money to participate in
the Disney World triathlon that benefits the Leukemia and Lymphoma
Society . . .

. . . Reality has sunk in for Simchak. She'll probably stay in Lee
County only another two or three years.

"I'll never be able to afford a house by myself, unless I move North,"
Simchak said. "Up there, you can buy a mansion for the price of a
regular home down here."

FROM-
http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050926/NEWS0104/509260421/1075

No comments: