Search This Blog

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Who Do You Distrust More - Harry or a Used Car Salesman?


On Wednesday - our good friend Darrell (FSU professor with Nancy) - asked me if I would sell his old car for him. He bought a new car and just didn't need the old one. He told me what he paid for it one year ago and I was amazed. He asked me to clean it up and market it. He said I could keep any money I made over what he paid for it.

So I spent 3 hours - washing - scrubbing - shampooing - polishing - waxing. I put up a web page - and put an ad in the paper for $22. I also put a sign in it out in front of our house. On Thursday - when the newspaper ad appeared our phone was ringing off the hook. When folks called - I would tell them the pros and cons of the car. The second guy that came to drive it bought it - full price. He was so tickled that he beat all the others to the punch. So far - 26 people called about the car!

The buyer paid cash - one hundred dollar bills - Darrell signed the title -and the deal is over.

The car was a 1997 Saturn with 97,000 miles - it had a big dent in the hood. The car ran like a bandit - 5 speed - lots of pep - 30 miles par gallon. The neatest part was it had a fiberglass plastic body. It shined like new.

I got $1200 more than we expected in one day. Oh yes - and "thrifty" Harry called the newspaper up and got $9 back when he cancelled the ad. Now who do you trust more?

Do you remember the movie five years ago featuring Nicholas Cage called "Gone in 60 Seconds"? How about "Gone in 24 hours!"

  • Here is the Sales Ad
  • No comments: