Search This Blog

Friday, January 20, 2006

Arrived Safely in DC - Grand Hyatt Hotel

I left the house this morning at 6:45. Buddy George took me to the airport. Tallahassee Airport is pretty nice - they have free internet there - making it convenient for "blog world." Several celebrities were getting on my plane. First - the women's softball coach was flying to Nashville for a clinic. Her name is Louie Brandt - she is the nice lady that walked up to me at Syracuse last year when I was looking for tickets and gave me free ones. Second - the track and field team was going to Lobos Invitational Meet in Las Cruces, New Mexico. The plane out of Tallahassee was full.

In Atlanta - I got to my gate and there was John Thompson - the former Georgetown Hoya coach - sitting there. I introduced myself and told him about Keith going to Georgetown and Drew going to Duke. I also told him we saw him in Hawaii at one of the basketball tournaments there in 1991. He did not remember me :-) But he was very cordial. When I got on the plane - he was in Row 1 Seat 1.

The plane from Atlanta was only half filled - we arrived 15 minutes early. In DC - the Metro comes right to the airport. For $1.35 on the blue line - I got right to Metro Center. Our Grand Hyatt Hotel has an entrance from the Metro Center - no need to go outide - the temperature is a frigid 48 here - but sunny.

We are in room 1167 - with a nice atrium view. We will be here for 3 nights. We are just a couple blocks from the Verizon Center - where the Duke/Georgetown game will be. Keith got six tickets together through his alumni thing - se we won't be ticket hunting. It will be Keith - Drew - Steve - Nate - Nate's girl - and me at the game.

Nancy got this hotel on priceline.com and did a great job - it is really nice. She also got the plane ride free using frequent flyer miles. Thanks Nancy - this is a great birthday gift.

Keith just called and said he is on the way. Drew is probably in the air from Syracuse.

I am looking forward to a neat weekend - no driving - lots of nice meals - watching games - a few drinks - and just a good time. Just do it.

Who do I root for? Georgetown? Duke? Half and half? Nobody? I did bring one sweatshirt with a name on.

I wonder if I see John Thompson at the game - will he remember me? John Thompson's son is the current coach at Georgetown.

No comments: