Search This Blog

Monday, November 07, 2005

Stump Grinder Arrives - I Removed Ten Stumps Today




The stump grinder arrived today from the factory in Illinois. It is made by the Praxis Company. It has a Honda 9HP OHV engine. I had to pick it up at the Roadway Express Terminal just west of Tallahassee. I used the hitch carrier on the back of my camper.

After reading the manual and watching the instructional video - I started removing some of the many stumps on our property. I started in the front of the house and removed ten stumps in three hours. They ranged from six to twelve inches in diameter. I ground them down to about six inches below normal ground level.

Some surprises - the stump grinder is quieter than I expected. I rented one in Tamaqua a few years ago and it was much louder. Also I expected the chips to be flying more. I re-call chips flying up to 50 feet when I rented the one in Tamaqua. Maybe this one is sharper - but the end product was a pile of saw dust - very fine chips. I am a little sore - but I got a lot done in a couple hours - and expected much more vibration. The Honda engine runs very smoothly and starts with one pull.

I wore gloves - and used my full face motorcyle helmet for protection. It was overkill - the machine is much more docile than I expected.

The chipper/shredder hopefully will be here Friday.

No comments: